Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stop right there

Lifestyle Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs

I should have started my first few books which I bought a few days ago.


What happened to my challenge?? I'm supposed to be reading and not surfing on Facebook relentlessly, supposed to be finishing the first book I chose the day I started the 100 books challenge. Now where is my initiative?


The one I'm currently reading, "Mozart's Ghost" seems like a moderately thick book and nevertheless, rather boring sometimes. It did not occur to me to be that dull when I first saw its cover, creative and clean. The content is quite draggy, not many words but getting to a point is quite taking a few pages.


I recently bought four more books, which one of them is "Eat, Love, Pray"! Regardless the sequence, the first few lines of the book were very readable and interesting. Depending on who's the reader, I personally find that it's going to be quite a self-discovery (although that's what they all brag about the book), not quoting upon what's reviewed, but it is readable and yet, page turning. I must admit that I've stopped reading quite a number of books after I found them totally boring and draggy. Too many words, too bombastic, and yet hardly getting to their highlights. Disappointing enough, that what the investment in reading is all about. Attractive covers and designs, beautiful captivating fonts, interesting summary plots...but when one reads till nowhere that interest takes place, I guess it's time to put it down, and journey to another. Very much of paper wastage, yes I agree, yet a reader cannot force oneself to finish an uninteresting book just because it costs so and so much. I once collected a leftover book by someone at my workplace, unclaimed, and seeing that the cover was somewhat sight capturing, it became my instant treasure. Well, I thought it was nice. Although the whole content of the book seems readable enough, yet I feel that the author never really captivated my heart while turning through the pages. Too draggy. I finally put it down after much sentimental values (after I discovered who the owner was lol) and returned it back. No hard feelings, I'm glad I did. Little wonder why "Educating Alice" never became a bestseller.

Now it's quite discriminating to say that non-bestsellers are less readable than bestsellers. No doubt bestsellers were often born from well acclaimed writers, people like Stephen King, Nora Roberts, Ken Follett, many loads more. But to say that their work is often list hitting, I disagree. I recently read Stephen King's "Under The Dome". Now I don't intend to review his latest book right here, but what I have to say is that it's not my type although not many of his works are alike Salem's Lot or Misery. Rather sci-fi, it all depends on readers' choice about being a bestseller. And I have many books which are yet page turning and not hitting the New York Bestselling List.

Alright enough babbling about collections, I'm rather intrigued and absent-minded about my quest here: To start my 100 books challenge since I've started collecting latest Newsweeks and reading through Mozart's Ghost. And since it's inside my list, I cannot forgo this book although I may say, it never would have hit the bestselling list simply because it is not interesting enough. Infinitesimal accounts of the book may make me smile, or hardly laugh, I somehow grew reluctantly to recommend this as a good read.

Still, four more books lie inside the brand new paper bag given along the purchase, I must, therefore, read and finish them as my quest. Believe me or not, one of them is FREAKONOMICSS!!~!! Second to the latest edition, this mind gripping selection has me drooled for months before reviewing its full contents (finally got it from a bargain shop) and is awesomely mind tuning. So i've got myself some of my favourites!

And what is there to wait???

2 comments:

  1. I am a lover or reading too, currently @ 4 books weekly, and cant seem to get enough, glad to see others enjoy to read as much as i do, kudos! i say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Am now reading on newsweek and Times, it's reading and I do hope to get more books =) What books are u reading currently?

    ReplyDelete